(Spain, 1881 - 1973)
Large almost pure 23ct gold pendant designed by Picasso and executed in an edition of 20 by the goldsmith Francois Hugo in Aix-en-Provence. In original fitted box, the lid inset with a vignette of the pendant and with a certificate glued to the interior.
W. 12 cm, H. 8.2 cm
Picasso first created jewellery for member of his family but after meeting Hugo in 1954 they collaborated together to make jewels and goldwork based on his drawings and ceramics. The form of this pendant follows that on a doodled note addressed to Hugo dated 13th February 1971. Indeed, it was only realised shortly before Picasso's death in 1973, After his death Hugo made another smaller edition of the Faune together with small gold medallions that were miniature adaptations of his large silver dishes.
Martine Newby Haspeslagh, Sculpture to Wear (London 2010), p. 37